Community Solar lets you share in the benefits of solar power, even if you can’t, or prefer not to, install solar panels on your property.
We’ve built a 250-kilowatt solar farm right in Bennettsville, allowing our members to share in the clean energy it produces without the burden of residential solar panels at home. The minimum subscription is one block and the maximum is five blocks. Any residential Marlboro Electric Cooperative (MEC) member may participate on a first-come, first-served basis. Note: Quantities are limited.
How it Works
- Decide how many blocks of solar power are right for you. If you’d like more Community Solar later and it is available, you can select additional blocks.
- Complete the subscription agreement. Then pay the upfront charge.
- Start receiving solar energy credits on your monthly electric bill. Each month you will receive credit for a portion of the production from the Community Solar farm. Your portion is based on how many solar blocks you have selected.
|Upfront charge||$50 per block|
|Monthly charge||$14 per block|
|Monthly credit||$0.10 credit per kilowatt-hour|
How Will I Save?
|# OF BLOCKS||APPROXIMATE KILOWATT-HOURS||AVERAGE MONTHLY SAVINGS|
|1||= 152 kilowatt-hours||= $1.20|
|2||= 304 kilowatt-hours||= $2.40|
|3||= 456 kilowatt-hours||= $3.60|
|4||= 612 kilowatt-hours||= $4.80|
|5||= 769 kilowatt-hours||= $5.90|
Please note: these figures are only averages based on actual solar production from January 2020 to December 2020; solar energy production will fluctuate month to month based on weather and time of year.
Reasons for Community Solar
- It’s hassle-free. No holes in your roof. No system to set up and maintain.
- The co-op assumes all liabilities and maintenance of the solar system.
- No burdensome homeowner association restrictions.
- Community solar creates clean energy that is environmentally friendly.